Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Using QR codes to Improve Fluency and Support Struggling Readers

I love collaborating with other classrooms in our school. Being such a small school our classes don't have as many opportunities to collaborate with classmates their age so I love when they have the opportunity to buddy up with another class!

Our first grade teacher, Gisel, and I always talk about finding ways to have our classes work together so I was thrilled when she was so excited about my QR code idea. It was even more exciting when I found out this supports the last bend in her reading unit.

I started by identifying my readers who struggle with fluency. Next I grabbed some books from the 1st grade classroom that are around the levels of J, k, L, M. Using AudioBoom, my students will record themselves reading these books. We will then create a QR code using QR Code Reader. After I print the QR code, we will tape it to the inside cover of the book. Now the 1st graders can hear their "star" reader or "just right" book read to them! This is a great project to work on during those times when most of your class is in band or chorus!

After we have completed about 20 - 30 books, my class will buddy up with the 1st grade and help them record themselves reading their "just right" books. Their recording will be turned into a QR code and taped to the inside cover of the book. QR codes can also be sent home so parents can hear their child reading their "just right" book.

How great would it be if we could add audio to all the "star" readers in Kindergarten and 1st grade!!

Taking This Idea To The Next Level
Students could record a summary/recommendation of their chapter book, create a QR code and then tape it to the inside cover/back cover of books in the classroom library/school library. Students who may be interested in reading a certain book can listen to classmates' summaries or recommendations before choosing a book.

Students can create a book trailer in iMovie, create a QR code and tape it to the cover. We all watch a video trailers before seeing a movie, why not watch a book trailer before reading a book? Check back in June to see some examples of this!

I will post pictures and examples as we work through this project. Check back to find out if it went smoothly or if we had some hiccups!





No comments:

Post a Comment